Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dog Treats - Natural

I have three wonderful mutts...ok well they are actually all pure bred AKCs but that just happened to be fate.  I give them less credit than an inbred backwoods mutt but I love them all the same. 

We have six year old Kelso, a registered Jack Russell Terrorist...who we found out later should actually be a Parson Russell Terrier.  They changed the rules and failed to tell me, thanks?

I personally believe he's the cutest dog, um ever.

Next we have Zoey, a pure 2 year old German Shepherd female who is the largest GSD female I've EVER seen.  We picked her up off Craigslist from a family  who could no longer keep her. (I believe foreclosure)  I chose Zoey for Jakob (my boyfriend) and I truly believe she has helped him leaps and bounds with his PTSD; she's very loving.


Finally, we have Miss Lola, a six month old German Shepherd.  Oh how we love our Christmas addition Lola.  Also a CraigsList dog, but she came from a neglected home.  Left outside in freezing weather for hours and on a chain, we literally spent weeks working her neck muscles to avoid lifelong damage, I thank the lord the owner knew her life was bad and we got her.  Olivia (my 4y/o daughter) loves this dog more than anything else; partners in crime!

(compliments to Jennifer Magee Photography for this great picture)

So now you know my critters - who I LOVE to bake healthy doggy treats for as often as possible. 


It's a great bonding experience for the family; everyone gets involved.  Our batches included simple household items and we had a blast using IKEA forest themed cookie cutters.  Here's the recipe:

Peanut Buttered Bacon Treats

3 cups of flour
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of water
2 tbsp veggie oil
Bacon Bits - garnishments

Preheat your oven to 350.  Dump all ingredients in a bowl and mix until sticky, then knead your dough into a moist ball.  Flatten with a rolling pin and cut shapes.  Bake for 20 mins.  When cooling add bacon bits as you desire!

*Note these will not rise and will only appear a little different in color than when you started.
I couldn't help but crack up at the squirrels!

I used the leftover and cleaned lunch meat containers for gift wrapping. Threw in some leftover colored napkins and quickly summed the recipe for other owners to try as well.  Since our block has four doggy friends and my family (a literal mile radius from home) has another five, we chose to share our first batch with them!  Rave reviews by all breeds. 

It wasn't easy escaping the kitchen to deliver.


As far as storage goes, keep these sealed in the fridge and figure they will last up to two weeks.  Depending on the size of your cookie cutters and dough thickness, you can get at least 24 treats out of one batch.  I prefer making them at home because it's easy and I don't worry about what my critters are eating.

Enjoy and I'd love to see pics of how yours turned out!



No comments:

Post a Comment