Sunday, June 9, 2013

Breastfeeding explained to a 6 year old

My daughter is one of the most animated people I know.  We all say she will become an actress, a politician, or a mobster.

I'm rooting for actress.

So today we are on the way to her Grandma Patsy's house and we see an adorable kitten playing in a field.


Olivia: Awe a baby kitten. Did you know baby kittens get their milk from their mommies.

Me: Yes, they do.

Olivia: All animals do, it's how mommies take care of them! Except humans.

Me: Um, actually, yes, humans too.

Olivia: (silence

Me: That's how I fed you.

Olivia: (screams) What is wrong with YOU? That's disgusting.  (gasp) Oh my goodness, it can't be true.  

Me: (laughing) Yes honey, it's true.

Olivia: I just can't handle this.



It's a hard reality for a six year old and she's been avoiding the topic all day.

Sorry honey, you were a breastfed baby.

1 comment:

  1. I am still dying... she cracks me the heck up!

    And that picture is priceless!

    Somehow, I can't imagine she thought it was all that disgusting then???

    ReplyDelete