Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Crockpot Chicken and Rice

Afternoon fellow pinners!

Last nights dinner was awesome, I arrived home to a wonderfully smelling house with dinner nearly ready to go.  After a very long day at work - that's exactly what I needed.

This recipe is one of the easiest ones I have made in a while and man did it pack flavor, plus it was very filling.



Crockpot Chicken and Rice

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion chopped
1 8oz box of rice (like Rice-a-Roni, I used chicken/broccoli mix)
1 cup of cheddar cheese
1 10.5 oz of cream of chicken
1 15oz can of whole kernel corn, drained

Place chicken in the bottom of a slower cooker.  Scatter chopped onion over top.  Spoon cream soup over top.  Cover and cook low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.  About 20 minutes before serving add the cooked rice, corn, and cheese.  Stir to combine.  Serve hot!

See how easy was that meal?  A few things I did different or to help prep...

The night before, I cooked the rice and added all the "after" ingredients into a glass dish.  That way I was able to walk in to the door, pour everything in and be done.  Additionally, I added a few slices of onion to the "after" as well.  It gave a good crunch and I think helped with flavor. 

When I stirred the mixture, I noticed my chicken was so tender it was falling apart (oh such a shame, not!)  So I ended up shredding it mildly into bite size pieces to eat easier.

The original recipe called for cheese.  Honestly, I forgot about that...so um, yeah, no missing flavor and less calorie intake.

Lastly, the original recipe called for yellow rice mix....that sounded a bit plain.  So I went with Rice-A-Roni chicken/broccoli mix.  I really think that made a difference in taste.

Again, this was really filling thanks to the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment